Golf
Rory McIlroy defends round with Donald Trump
GOLF

Rory McIlroy defends round with Donald Trump

McIlroy, a four-time major champion, has not played on the tour since early January due to a rib injury.

When Rory McIlroy played a round of golf with President Donald Trump Sunday, a lot of people voiced their opinion.

Not very many of them had positive things to say about McIlroy, who has not played professionally since Jan. 15 — when he lost a playoff to Graeme Storm in the South African Open — because of a stress fracture in his ribs, yet found time to play with the president.

MORE: Rory McIlroy to return next week, plays round with Donald Trump

McIlroy was critical of Trump while he was running for office, but it appeared he had forgotten at least some of his issues while smiling in a Twitter post after his round with Trump.

McIlroy issued a statement explaining his thought process for playing with the highly controversial new president. 

GW Slice: DJ on top of the world and McIlroy tees it up with President Trump


"I don't agree with everything my friends or family say or do, but I still play golf with them," McIlroy said. "Last week I was invited to play golf with the president of the United States. Whether you respect the person who holds the office or not, you respect the office that he holds.

"This wasn't an endorsement nor a political statement of any kind. It was, quite simply, a round of golf."

Well, unfortunately for McIlroy, that likely won't be enough to end most people's criticism of his round.


But McIlroy further defended himself by addressing some of the criticism that he's a "bigot" or a "fascist" because he played with the president.

"Golf was our common ground, nothing else," he said. "I have traveled all over the world and have been fortunate enough to befriend people from many different countries, beliefs and cultures. To be called a fascist and a bigot by some people because I spent time in someone's company is just ridiculous.

"I hope, to some degree, this clarifies my decision to accept the invitation that was extended to me."

Share this article

Features

Latest stories

tennis

'We will always be rivals'- Federer and Nadal rule out future doubles pairing

football

WATCH: Rogic strikes again as Celtic maintain Old Firm dominance

tennis

Federer and Nadal join forces while Kyrgios wins again at Laver Cup

motorsport

Rossi's remarkable MotoGP return after leg fracture

tennis

Kyrgios and Sock claim Laver Cup win over Nadal and Berdych

motorsport

WATCH: Hamilton profits from Vettel's first-lap crash to win in Singapore

golf

Leishman extends advantage at BMW Championship as Day lurks

Cormier torn over receiving UFC title after Jones tests positive

Rugby Championship

Australia v Argentina: Everything you need to know

golf

WATCH: Hole-in-one hero Day relaxed amid FedEx Cup charge

EPL

WATCH: Ryan beaten twice as Bournemouth pick up first win

golf

Leishman extends lead as Day stays close at BMW Championship

MoreLess
Back to Top